Elderly persons with immobility issues and swallowing problems often have difficulty feeding themselves. They would refuse to eat by turning their head away or spitting out their food. This may lead to worsening of their condition making it harder for them to recover. Hence, appropriate assistance is needed when feeding them by staying attuned to their individual needs and considering the type and amount of food their bodies need. Hence, proper positioning is important to ensure swallowing and eating safely.
In line with this, there are a lot of factors to bear in mind when feeding elderly patients that include, among others, the following:
- Ensure that the place for dining is well-ventilated and free from any distractions.
- Use clean and unbroken utensils for feeding.
- Take into consideration not only their food preference but also nutritious foods that are easy to chew and swallow.
- Ensure proper posture for feeding to reduce the risk of choking.
- Encourage them to eat by talking to them kindly and caringly.
UR FIRST Home Health is a home health agency in Nevada that provides quality nursing care for seniors within the comforts of their homes. Further, it is the mission to provide accessible and quality healthcare to the community for the improvement of their health and well-being.
If your senior loved one has mobility issues or suffered from a recent stroke or surgery for chronic conditions, our home health services in Las Vegas, Nevada, are equipped with skilled and licensed nurses to attend to their care and rehabilitation.
To know more about our skilled nursing in Nevada, you can visit our website at http://www.urfirsthomehealth.com/ to book your appointments, or feel free to call us at 702-354-2617 for further inquiries.